Need to store your priced possessions? Attic and crawl spaces offer handy options to store stuff within the house. Within reach, accessible even during odd hours and definitely a no-cost affair. But despite these proven benefits, these dull and dreary areas aren’t the perfect spaces to stock items.
Here’s a comprehensive list of items you should not store in your attic:
- Fabric and Clothing – Be it delicate summer wear or cozy winter dressing; any plant or animal based fiber is a treat for moths, insects and pests. These innocuous looking creatures grow and breed in the moist and damp conditions and nibble upon your priced possessions.
- Antiques and Furniture Made from Natural Materials – Furniture and décor items made from natural material are susceptible to damage when stored in damp conditions. Humid air damages wood and upholstered furniture beyond repair.
- Files and Paperwork – Birth certificates, passports, marriage certificates, academic records, medical reports, photos, books, and artwork; the list gets endless. While their importance cannot be undermined, they need substantial space for storage. And attics and crawl are a big ‘NO’ when it comes to storing these important papers. Excess moisture and extreme heat conditions can make discolor and damage papers, making them worthless.
- Food Items –Perfect temperatures, limited lighting and minimum footfall; attic and crawl spaces are haven for pests and rodents. Storing eatables in attic and crawl spaces will be providing them with a feast.
- Flammable Items- As hot air rises, attics are the hottest spaces when the exterior temperatures begin to rise. Storing flammable things like furnace, water heater, dryer, fireplace, or a stove or oven in the attic can increase risk of fire. Storing gasoline, propane, kerosene, or other hazardous chemicals is also not recommended.
Opting for self-storage units to store and stack your utilities is thus a prudent option. Self-storage units are equipped with facilities and technologies that moderate temperatures and humidity levels, providing the optimum safety conditions. If you too are looking for self-storage units to keep your stuff intact, West Bellfort Self Storage is the clear choice. Conveniently located, we provide the best equipped self storage facilities in Huston. Call us at 281-561-0200, to know more about our wide range of storage options and related services.